Monday, March 23, 2009

Oreos

I found a fabulous recipe I have to share! This isn't your typical homemade oreo...this recipe is from a bakery in New York and the cookie is a hard cookie, not soft. The best part of this recipe is that it doesn't have any weird ingredients...they are all ones I always have on hand. Tom isn't a big cookie guy. When I make cookies, he will eat a couple right when they come out of the oven, but that is usually it. Not these cookies! He ate them until they were completely gone. The only downside to this recipe is that they take a while to make, but they are worth it!! I made another batch last night so Tom has them in his lunch today.
FOR THE DOUGH:
1 1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla

FOR THE FILLING:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
3 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 t. vanilla

1. Prepare the dough: Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, incorporating each ingredient before adding the next. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. Divide the dough into 2 pieces; place on piece on parchment paper (wax paper works fine too) and roll into 1/4 in. thick rectangle. Repeat with the other piece of dough. Refrigerate both rectangles, covered with parchment sheets, until firm, at least 1 hour or up to several days. (The second time I made this I used the freezer, not the fridge - the dough is super sticky, so I found it easier to work with when it was harder.)
4. Using a 2 in. round cutter, cut the dough into 64 circles. Place the cookies about 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325.
5. Bake the cookies until they are set and darker around the edges, about 20 minutes. (I found 20 minutes too long. I did 15 this last time and it was perfect for me.) Cool completely on wired racks.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Bean in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
7. Flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with 1 level tablespoon of filling (I did more and using a frosting bag to fill evenly and make them look prettier). Press the remaining cookies on top to make sandwiches.

1 comment:

Alicia @ The Creative Vault said...

Those look amazing!!! I like that they are hard. The soft ones are good but there is something about the hard cookie that is so appealing. I'm going to have to try these right away!