Friday, March 27, 2009

Homemade Hummus

The other night at enrichment we had the most delicious Greek appetizers. Pita bread, Pita Chips, Manzanilla Olives, Hummus, Feta Cheese, Walnuts and Grapes. At the end there was so much left over I got to take a great deal of it home with me. I didn't get to take any hummus home so I decided to make my own for lunch the next day. I have tried to make hummus before but it has never been a good as I wanted it to be. I now think I'm onto something though! Below is my latest recipe for hummus. Also pictured is warm feta. I drizzled olive oil over it, wrapped it in tin foil and baked it. Next time I will try sprinkling a little lemon pepper on it though.
Hummus

1 can Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
1 T. sesame seeds
1-2 pinches of dried mint
1-2 T olive oil
1-2 T lemon juice
salt, to taste
water

1. In small pot bring beans (with juice), sesame seeds, and about 1/2 can of water to a boil. Boil for about 10 to 15 minutes until beans are soft.

2. Drain water and add beans and sesame seeds to a food processor or blender.

3. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and mint and blend until a smooth paste is created. You may want to add more olive oil, lemon juice or water to create the taste and texture that you desire.

4. Serve warm or cold with pita chips or pita bread.


*note* - Most hummus recipes ask for tahini paste which is a sesame seed paste. The boiled seeds are a substitute for the tahini. I have tried the seeds raw and it does not have the same effect. You can find dried mint at some grocery stores but you will for sure find it at a foreign foods store, or you can just call me and I will send you some. :) This is also a great dish for babies. Mags loves hummus. She gets the protein she needs and it is easy to chew and swallow.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I LOVE hummus too! YUM! Tom and I have some in the fridge right now. I've got a recipe that calls for that paste, but I like this one because it has more practical ingredients.