Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pierogis

When we were in Rexburg Alicia made these one Sunday and we stopped by to try the leftovers. It was my first experience and I've been hooked ever since. This is her recipe. I always serve these with kielbasa sausage sliced and fried a little.

Dough:
3 c. flour
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream (I use light and it works just fine)
1/2 t. salt

Filling:
5 potatoes
1 onion, diced
3 slices of American cheese (I use a little more)
butter

Boil potatoes, drain, add sauteed onions. cheese, and mash. Set aside. Combine dough ingredients and knead for about 10 minutes. Roll out and cut in circles using a cup. Put 1 t. (I do a little more) of filling in each circle. Fold over dough and seal edges. Boil in water for 5 minutes and drain. Saute more onions in butter. Add cooked pierogies and fry a little. Sprinkle with dried parsley. Serve warm with sour cream.