Monday, January 11, 2010

Freezer Burritos

It's Pantry Challenge month and I've started a new thing that I'll be doing for years to come - freezer burritos! After the December food madness I had some leftover ham from Christmas dinner, chopped it up and wrapped it in a tortilla with some cheese and put it in the freezer. Viola! Instant hot pockets. I did the same with leftover refried beans.
For dinner the other night we had super burritos with chicken, leftover rice, beans and cheese. We served them smothered where I poured some green enchilada sauce that I had leftover and frozen in the fridge, melted cheese, fresh salsa and sour cream. With the leftovers I wrapped them up (unsmothered) and froze them for a later day.
I get the tortillas in a giant pack for less than $5 at Sam's and they last forever. I'm now in the habit of wrapping up leftovers in them, it makes a great and inexpensive (practically free) lunch. Just heat up the wraps in the microwave and it's as delicious as that!

1 comment:

Nevada Lyman said...

what a great idea. I would definitely do this if we weren't all allergic to wheat. Other kids of tortillas don't roll-up well unless they are fried in oil first - yuck