Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Last Chance or Baby and Kid Items...

The government (CPSIA) is enacting a law February 10 which enforces very strict rules on items for children 12 and under. Each items component must be tested for lead. This a a nice law because it is helping children however the law is so broad that it is causing some major pain for crafters and other small business who make safe and wonderful children's items. Playskool can afford to test one of their toys and then mass produce a few hundred thousand of them.

As it is now (as I understand it) each component of one of my tag blankets would need to be tested for lead so each different piece of fabric and each piece of ribbon. At $4,000 per test, I simply cannot afford to have my items tested, especially since each item I make is one of a kind. So very soon, if the law does not change or specify, all children's items, including decorations, toys, hair bows blankets, clothes, etc. that are not tested are considered dangerous and illegal, even if there is no way there could be lead on an item it is considered dangerous until tested. If you are wanting to get safe, quality handmade items for your kids, now is the time to do it as thousands of small businesses will be going out of business at the end of the month. I was just talking with a woman the other day who cross stitches adorable bibs and knitted hats (clearly not dangerous) and will soon have to close her shop down, it's really sad. I have a few items in my etsy store but there are thousands of other great items on sale there too so check it out.

I'll let you know when I find out more information about this law but for now, I'm stocking up on dollar store toys, McDonalds toys and handmade goodies!

1 comment:

Alicia @ The Creative Vault said...

FYI this law has been postponed another year to allow congress to make the necessary changes. So you have one more year to buy great kids stuff!